Schizandra Pomegranate Kefir
What happens when you combine a powerful adaptogenic herb with the sweetness of pomegranates, and add in beneficial bacteria in order to ferment it? A kefir that is an immune building powerhouse. Time to get the ingredients for this recipe, and put some rocket fuel into your health goals.
The purpose of this kefir recipe is to provide you with a probiotic drink that has significant immune boosting properties from a highly revered herb in schizandra, and has a boost of vitamin C and K as well from pomegranate. This would make a great addition to any summer drink.
- Medium sized pot
- Temperature gauge
- Tea filter
- 1 large mason jar (32 oz)
- 16 oz of our pomegranate juice
- 4 tbsp of schizandra berries
- Kefir culture starter or probiotic capsules
- Steep 4 tbsp of schizandra berries in 16 oz of hot water with tea filter, and let sit for 10 minutes, then put into mason jar
- Pour 16 oz of pomegranate juice into mason jar with the schizandra tea
- Stir mixture and let sit until temperature reaches approximately 90F
- Add in kefir starter or probiotic capsules and mix
- Screw lid on tight, put away from direct sunlight, and make sure temperature of mixture stays above 75F (cover with warm blanket or towel, and/or keep in warm area)
- In 24 hours, check for “fizz” and lid popping up (pressure is an indication of fermentation)
- Take a small sample, and if “tart”, fermentation is complete
- Store in fridge for up to a week
- 1 to 2 oz daily, or as desired.